Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
Apple iOS Mobile Phone Setup Guide Child Safe VPN Service
We would recommend updating your Apple iPhone to the most recent release of the iOS (13.1.3 for an iPhone 6 & later editions as of the time of writing this guide), and updating all the installed apps to the latest versions. We would also recommend you have an up-to-date Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware app installed.
Setting up your Apple iPhone (all generations) to use the Child Safe VPN Service is fairly straight forward. You may be prompted for your AppleID and Password from the App Store during this process.
Just follow these steps in order to setup your Apple iOS iPhone with the Child Safe VPN service - please have your ChildSafeVPNID and Password handy too:
- Wake your iPhone up by pressing the "home" button
- Press the "home" button again to show the logon screen
- Enter your pass code (or thumbprint etc) to gain access to your iPhone
- Open the Apple App Store by tapping on the App Store icon
- Tap on the search magnifying glass icon
- Tap in the search box at the top of the screen
- Type "openvpn" in the search box, followed by the "enter" key
- Tap the "GET" button next to the OpenVPN Connect App (you may get prompted here for your AppleID and Password to confirm you can install the App, depends on your AppleID settings with Apple)
- Once installed, press the cancel button and/or the home button to switch to the home screen
- OPTIONAL - Find which home screen has the OpenVPN icon, press and hold the icon and select "Re-arrange Apps" and drag the icon to the primary home screen for ease of access (you may wish to move it again afterwards to obscure its location inside another folder)
- Open the Apple Safari browser and enter the following web link - childsafevpn.com/configdownload followed by the "enter" key
- Select the "Download" button next to the UK Configuration File (should you require other countries configuration files when they are launched you can repeat this entire process for each country file you wish to install - your UserID and Password will work on all Child Safe VPN service systems)
- Tap on the "Download" confirmation screen to allow the file to be downloaded to your iPhone
- Tap on the blue "downloads" button on the safari browser bar
- Tap on the ChildSafeVPNUK 2KB file, and then click on the "Open" file icon
- Tap on the "Download" or "Open" button
- Slide the icon options to the left until the OpenVPN icon is displayed
- Tap on the "Copy to OpenVPN" App icon
- The licence screen tap "Agree"
- Tap on the "ADD" button to import the file into OpenVPN
- Tap in the Username box and enter the ChildSafeVPNID you were sent via email eg XX000000 (NOTE: this is not the email address you signed up to the service with)
- Select the "Save Password" tick-box to enable saving your password & click the "ADD" button to save your changes
- Type in the password for your ChildSafeVPNID sent to you via WhatsApp
- Tap the "ADD" at the top (changes are saved automatically)
- Tap on the "Allow" option to enable the iPhone to accept an OpenVPN Connection
- Type in your logon PIN code to confirm access to the system settings and save the changes
- Tap on the "Menu" icon
- Tap on the "Settings" option
- We need to make some changes here
- Make sure the "Reconnect On Wakeup" and "Seamless Tunnel" options are selected
- Scroll down and change the "Connection Timeout" set to "Continuous Retry"
- Clear the "DNS Fallback" option
- "Connect Via" should be set to ANY NETWORK, and "Layer 2 Reachability" should be checked too - then select the top left arrow and exit (which saves the changes)
- Tap on the Grey button to enable the Child Safe VPN Connection and then "Yes" to enable the connection
- It should then go green and be connected (see VPN next to the WiFi status on the top row)